Thursday, October 22, 2009

Second Grade...


The new principles of Cartersville Primary School encouraged the parents to write a letter our children after we received their report cards. I wanted to post my letter here because I am so very proud.


October 22, 2009


Dear Ryan-


I know that second grade has been full of changes! Mommy is now picking you up from school and you also made the Challenge program; even positive changes can make your world seem like it is going “upside” down. I am very proud of you though because through it all you are one brave, smart little boy. When I met with Bridget yesterday, I had no idea what to expect. The graded papers you had brought home sometimes weren’t that great and then other times knocked my socks off they were so high! I am so very proud of you. Even when I was in your conference I got tears in my eyes because I am so proud! You showed Language Arts and Reading who the boss was- Mr. Ryan. Social studies and science which are both new subjects, your grades were awesome!


Ryan, I know math can be so hard sometimes. It is even hard for Mommy. Yet, on your report card, I could tell that you were trying your best. All I ask for is your best work. If your best work isn’t an “E” then that is okay. I want you to try harder this nine weeks. Remember the commitment we made to each other, you were going to try harder at school and I am going to try harder at home. If we work together I think the outcome will impress us both.

When I saw your behavior side of the report card, I could have jumped up and down for joy. I didn’t, but I could have. Knowing you are kind and polite and brave is the coolest thing ever! My number one goal as your Momma is to make sure that through your actions that others can see Christ through you. I am certain that others can see Christ through you which makes me proud.

In your life, Ryan, you have had a lot more “stuff” to go through because of your cleft lip and palate. You handle it with such courage that no one knows you are different and if they notice you are different then they know you are brave because of how you handle it. Life may get difficult and if it does, I want you to know that our home is your safe place. There are no secrets and there is no reason to hide anything. I am your number 1 fan and your biggest supporter. If you have a problem I cannot fix, I will find a way. Before you were born, I began to pray for you. I still pray for you every single day and I always will.

Thank you for working so hard at school. And for always being you.

I love you with all my heart,
Momma