Friday, January 29, 2010

The Beautiful Unanswered Prayer

In November of 2009, Brian learned that the branch of Regions bank where he is employed would be closing Jan. 29,2010. As a young couple, still believing that bad things happened to other people, we assumed Brian would find employment in another branch. As time wore on, the prayers for employment became more urgent and much more often. We were specific that we wanted God's will AND for Brian to find a job within Regions because he has been there for so long.

As 2010 approached, I had no idea what our "plan of action" was going to be for Plan B and I needed to know. I am sure God gets a kick out of me "planning" everything. Our Plan B was (very similar to Plan A): love God and each other with all of our heart, all of our soul, and all of our mind. God did not answer my prayer. He did not provide Brian with a job at Regions. As of this afternoon, we will be another statistic- another home in the United States without employment.

But before you have too much pity- my God is not through with us yet. In our bedroom the poem Footprints hangs hand cross-stitched by my Nana as a reminder to me that when we look back on this period of time, there will be only one set of footprints because God has carried us through this. I prayed for a door to be opened and God said "not this one". I prayed for an opportunity and God said "this is not it". I am terrified but I reach out my hands and I declare that "I will praise Him in this storm."

God never promised me that following His path would be without problems but he declared in Jeremiah 29:11, that He has a plan for Brian and our family. God has a plan to prosper us for us to have hope and a future. This is my favorite verse, one that we incorporated into our wedding vows and one I cling to now. I may have visions of how I wish to be prospered and of my future but God has His way too. As the tears flow and I learn to praise Him through this storm, I want his Way, in His timing, and His will for my future.

Thank you, God, for our beautiful unanswered prayer. I look forward to you showing me the way and for how amazing it is going to be!