Sunday, January 2, 2011

Being a Submissive Wife

If you have been in "church" for any length of time you know that the man is to be head of the house, right? Well, if you don't know this LISTEN to me- your husband is head of your household. This is difficult for me. No, difficult is not the right word. This is hard, impossible, tough, and frustrating for me.

I have trouble with placing God first in my life. Yes, I will tell you that he is Lord of my life but do the ways I spend my time and money reflect that? Not always. So if I am going to struggle with having God as my pilot then I would OBVIOUSLY have trouble letting Brian be the head of this house.

I am almost Type A. I am a little OCD. And I am a HUGE "control freak". I want things done my way because I am always right and I always know best! Feel free to laugh out loud right now.

In 2010, Brian and I had this talk about how things are supposed to be in this house. We spoke about how we should be as a family. Pretty much in all this talking, Brian was just saying that I need to turn myself down a couple hundred notches and to allow him to be head of the house as God had ordained.

Ephesians 5:22 - 24 are verses that I read often:

22 Wives, be subject to your own husbands, as to the Lord. 23 For the husband is the head of the wife, as Christ also is the head of the church, He Himself being the Savior of the body. 24 But as the church is subject to Christ, so also the wives ought to be to their husbands in everything.

Take note, God does not say that I ought to be submissive to Brian in how we spend money or in what church to go to. It says I ought to be submissive to Brian in EVERYTHING. Some would argue that if you have a sorry husband then this doesn't apply. Well, As previous posts note, I don't have a sorry husband. I have a precious God worshipping, fearing, loving, dedicated to Him kind of husband.

Let me get to the meat of this rant or post or testimony... Brian lost his grandfather at the end of December. Visitation is tonight with the funeral tomorrow. You are probably wondering why I am typing a post if I should be a visitation. Circumstances outside of our control prevented me from going. Brian felt that I was safest at home 200 miles away from where he is. So? I could have balked this decision and gone anyway. But Brian asked me to stay and as he was asking me to stay home I was reminded by my earthly and my heavenly fathers that I was to be submissive to His word. Let me tell you, someone elses selfishness has interfered with me being able to be there for my precious husband which makes me so angry but I cling to these verses knowing that God will honor our obedience.

When you are having a hard time letting your husband be the head, remember you aren't alone. I struggle too. I know though that having this kind of marriage is truly one of a kind. I am blessed and highly favored. I thank God that he loved me so so much he sent his Son to save me, that he sent Brian that I may know true love, and that he sent Ryan to me so I could mother the most awesome little man.