Friday, March 11, 2011

Birth Defects

When I was pregnant with Ryan, the thought never entered my mind that he wasn't a perfectly healthy bouncing baby boy. The moments following delivery even when no one was saying a word were enough to tell me something was not right. Praise the Lord, Ryan's birth defect while something we will face for 10 more years or so wasn't life threatening. Ryan's cleft lip and palate coupled with the fact that I was born with a ventricular septum defect ( a hole in my heart) was enough for my OB with this pregnancy to recommend a NT scan.


An NT scan will look for Trisomy 13, Trisomy 18, and Trisomy 21 (Downs Syndrome). Very often cleft lip/ palate is an indication of a "syndrome". So I started doing research on what could possibly be found in this scan and what that diagnosis would look like.

In my search for knowledge, I stumbled upon Lisa Husmann's blog whose son Jaxton Oliver Mark was born with Trisomy 18. Being a blog author, I love reading the journey of life that other's are on. Especially those who share my faith in Jesus Christ and Lisa's unshakeable faith in the light of such horrific news is encouraging. Babies born with Trisomy 13 or 18 do not survive long at all. In fact, Jaxton went to be with the Lord this morning and my heart just aches for his momma, Lisa.

No one knows what tomorrow holds. No pregnant mother has gone her entire pregnancy without thinking maybe just for a second about what could go wrong. Child birth and healthy children is a miracle.

Understand me, that I do not think there is anything wrong with our Lil Cupcake. However, I had to decide if us doing this scan was even worth it. We chose that for us knowing and preparing ahead of time was better than being surprised.

Regardless, my heart is consumed with grief and love for this mother who we've followed each other's blog for a few weeks now and now she is preparing to bury her 14 day old little boy. I cannot even imagine. But Jaxton who couldn't breath on his own here is now breathing, running, and praising our Lord.