Sunday, May 8, 2011

Happy Mother's Day to Me!

Happy Mother's Day to Me!


Ryan's class today had a Mother's Day tea. It was perfect! I was in a rush because I was manning our office by myself and leaving at 9:15 in the morning is NEVER a good idea but I was not going to miss something that was so important to Ryan. He was THRILLED that I was there and even more excited that this memoir book he gave me caused me to cry.

I have the best mom in the world. I also have the influences of two of the greatest grandmothers. Among countless other women who are like "Mom" to me too. But BEING a mother is by far the greatest challenge I've ever accepted yet my biggest success. I don't do many things well but I am a damn good mother.

Ryan always comes before me. Always. When I was a single mom I had a friend once say to me, "you are the best mom. you go out on weekends when you don't have Ryan but when you do have Ryan the rest of the world can forget it because you are a Mom."

I am a mom! I am fortunate to be Mom to the most amazing little boy. I would love to share his memoirs with you but I am going to keep those close in my heart and protect them. I, however, will share this one:

"I remember the first time you huged me. It was a astaunaushing moment. The sun shined on us. My eyes were still closed but shining."

Apparently, he remembers the day he was  born because that was the first time I hugged him. But you know what? The Son did shine on us that day and his eyes were closed. Reading through Ryan's writing, how he feels about me takes my breath away. I will cherish this memoir all the days of my life.

Ryan,
I'll love you forever
I'll like you for always
As long as I'm living your Momma I'll be.

I often wondered how the arrival of Harper would affect our relationship. I am confident now in saying this relationship is built on solid ground. I love you buddy. Let's make some MEMORIES!