Tuesday, February 28, 2012

I want to be like you!

I want to be like you when I grow up is a phrase we hope at one point or another that our kids will say to us. But you know their actions also say this. Sunday night, Carson brought Ryan home after their weekend together and Carson said, "Ryan said it was Bible study night?" I told Carson briefly how every Sunday night Brian leads us in a Bible study. The whole time Ryan was just beaming.  It has quickly become one of Ryan's most favorite things. If we forget to do this he reminds us quickly. I tell people that I believe Ryan could be a preacher. He is so wise and grounded. It's quite incredible to see him. I'm looking forward to see what God is going to do in his life.

Well, a few weeks ago, we borrowed Fireproof from friends and Ryan immediately remembered we have the book Love Dare. Ryan apparently tired of waiting on Brian to start our study, came over with the Love Dare and asked if he could read Day 1 to us and we do Love Dare as a family. It was precious. He was "doing as Brian does". It was such a sweet moment. I didn't even realize what affect our doing this study was having on Ryan.

He read the first pages and then challenged us. Day 1 is going all day without saying anything negatively to your spouse. We adapted spouse to family. When Ryan got home from school yesterday he was immediately asking if I had success in being nice. My 9 year old holding ME accountable? Could anything make me more proud? Absolutely not. I'm overwhelmed by Ryan. He is amazing. I'm so thankful for a husband who is willing to display daily how a Christian man should behave. Our son is obviously watching.