Thursday, July 5, 2012

Happy Independence Day!

"Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is there is freedom."
2 Corinthians 3:17

I am blessed to have been born in the land of the free. My life in comparison to millions of others in my country and outside it has been a constant walk in abundance. I have spoke my mind since the day I learned to speak. I could carry a gun if I wanted. I can speak ill of our country's leaders and not face death. As a woman I haven't always been able to vote but I can now cast my vote for my choice of candidate and rest knowing that it will count. Most importantly, I can worship Jesus openly and unashamedly. How is all of this possible? Someone's daughter, son, mother, father, friend, brother, or sister have for hundreds of years gone to war to establish or protect these freedoms.

And yesterday, we celebrated that FREEDOM. We listened to America the Beautiful and I got a little teary eyed thinking how some of my own family risked their life for our freedom.

O beautiful for heroes proved
In liberating strife.
Who more than self their country loved
And mercy more than life!
America! America!
May God thy gold refine
Till all success be nobleness
And every gain divine!
 

Our 4th was busy! We started the day at 5:45am. My mother, Vicki Beck, is running for Tax Commissioner of the county we live in and we were able to be in the parade with her. What a fun day!!!! It was so fun seeing all the smiling faces of those in attendance.




After the parade, we headed to Dellinger Park then went to my grandparent's to swim for awhile. We were able to rest for a little while before hosting some of our sweetest friends the Barkleys (Scott, Amy and kids) for a cookout and firework watching!



It was so much fun. We have only recently become friends with this family. They are PRECIOUS! They have a daughter the same age as our Ryan and they also have two young boys. There was laughter everywhere. Scott and Brian are made from the same mold and keep Amy and I on our toes. We shot off fireworks that Ryan and I bought at the Dollar Tree. I was terrified someone was going to lose a hand. But they were pretty cool! Next year, I will buy more. Where we live is a perfect location to watch fireworks. We just walked across the street, played a little patriotic music on Pandora, and BAM watched the fireworks.


I went to sleep feeling thankful for my freedom. What a great country I live in!