Monday, October 15, 2012

Crockpotalooza 2: French Dip Sandwiches

You guys know that I LOVE LOVE LOVE reading, Kelly's Korner Blog! Every Friday, Kelly does a "link up" party called "Show us Your Life". I rarely participate in her link up parties but I have in the past:
 
 
 
and
 
 
This week's "Show us Your Life" is a Crockpotalooza. If you know anything you should know that my crockpot is my main way to cook my family dinner! I couldn't resist sharing a crockpot favorite!
 
 
One of my favorite things to make in the crockpot is French Dip Sandwiches. Oh my goodness, they are delicious!!! When my husband walks in the door when I makes these and he smells the roast that had been cooking all day, he usually always says something along the lines of "Holy Cow that smells great!" Once, he proceeded to thank God in his blessing that I ventured off the map to make dinner. (Hint taken. I am more adventurous now.)

The original recipe is from The Country Cook. And here's the recipe:

Ingredients:

3-4 lb. Beef Round Steak (or any type of beef roast or brisket) - I used beef round especially since brisket is nasty to me!

1 packet Onion Soup Mix

1 packet Au Jus Seasoning

1 (15 oz) can of Beef Broth or Stock

½ cup water

4 slices mozzarella cheese- I used Swiss cheese cause it's what we like.

Sub rolls (I like Bolillo Rolls)

Optional ingredients: onions and green peppers (I used neither b/c my boys don't like them!)

Directions:

Put beef roast in slow cooker. In a medium bowl, combine Beef broth, Onion soup mix, Au Jus seasoning and water and stir until combined. Pour mixture over beef, put cover on slow cooker and cook on low for
about 8 hours. An hour before serving, shred meat with two forks or take it out and slice thinly. Place meat back in the slow cooker for another hour. ( I forgot to do this last step of shredding and putting back in crock pot!)



When ready to serve, place several slices of beef on roll, add sliced mozzarella cheese and place under the broiler (or use broil option on toaster oven). Watch carefully, broil for just a couple of minutes until cheese is melted and roll is just slightly toasted.

Serve sandwich with a bit of Au Jus from the slow cooker (you may want to strain it first). Also, I added just a bit more beef broth to our Au Jus.


The sandwiches were a hit! Stay tuned for more fabulous recipes from Pinterest! If you have any easy crock pot recipes that I can add to my menu please email them to me.