Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Dear Ryan


Dear Ryan,

In 3 days, you will walk out of your elementary school for the very last time. I can barely contain the tears. My little boy is growing quickly into the man God has created you to be. I feel like I can never tell you often enough that I am proud of you, that I love you, and adore you.

This year you have become so independent and matured so much. Now don’t get me wrong, you love to have a good time! We’ve had to face a lot of medical problems with your sister this year and all along the way you have been the best big brother. You cheer her on, cry when she is sick, and remind me that everything is going to be okay.

Thank you for working hard, always. Thank you for believing in yourself. I take pride in being your Momma. I pray God's protection on your life and that you will always be open about your love of and belief in God. Do not ever lose that!

There are a few things I want you to know before you enter middle school. Things I hope to teach you, show you, and simply remind you about:

I want you to always remember, you are child of the King. You answer to a Higher calling. You are spending this life in your shoes but in His steps. There is nothing you can do to separate yourself from Jesus. You are His!

I love you. I love you. I love you. There is nothing you can ever do to keep me from loving you. I will fight for you. I will always have your back. No matter what happens. No matter the time of day. I will be there for you.

As a Christian, I do not expect you to be perfect. Jesus Christ was the only perfect person. I expect you to be Ryan with a full understanding that you are going to make mistakes. Show your friends that when you make a mistake, you seek forgiveness. I want you to be a role model for your friends but a real role model. Show them that you screw up and because of that you are in need of a Savior.

Be willing and able to say "I'm sorry."

Never ever do something that devalues you as a person in order to obtain a friend. If you are strong and say “no”,  your friends will follow suit. Peer pressure will happen to you and it will suck. Giving in doesn't make you weak. It makes you human. But, Ryan, remember you have the option to say "no".

Be a leader.

Girls are going to become more and more interesting to you. Always remember, that girl you like probably has a big brother and a Daddy that will be beat you if you mistreat their girl. It's a best practice to treat a girl the way you want a boy to treat Harper or the way you want Brian to treat me. I know you are going to be “hot and heavy” soon enough for girls but I hope it is a long, long, long time from now! Your body is a temple of God and there is much to be said for staying pure and true to your future wife.

If you are behaving in a way that you wouldn't behave in front of an adult, stop the behavior.

Have fun. Don't feel like you have so many rules that you can't enjoy your preteen years. You are a great kid. Always have been. If you screw up, we will start over. My love for you is unconditional.  There is nothing you can do to stop me from loving you.

At the end of the school day on May 24, we will walk the halls of Cartersville Elementary School and say our “goodbyes”. I will cry. My tears aren’t because I’m sad you are growing up. I cry because I’m proud of you. Yes, I wish time would slow down but every year and each new phase you enter, I am reminded that it sure is a blessing to be your Momma!

Always remember what Papa said, “Remember who you are and whose you are.”

Love you,

Momma