Friday, November 1, 2013

What's Next with Harper?

We had her speech evaluation yesterday. Honestly, I'm still trying to wrap my mind around everything. This morning, I feel like two steps forward and one step back. This is what we were told:

For what Harper can say, she is right in the middle of the pack. 

For what she can comprehend, she is below the pack. 

Neither of these alone are cause for concern but when you look at the gap between the two scores you have to ask, "What's going on here?" 

Her hypotonia "low tone" is affecting her speech. 

There is a possibility she can't hear as well as she could/ should. 

So what's next? I will call our pediatrician and have him refer Harper to Pediatric ENT of Atlanta for a hearing screening. We will do speech and physical therapy for the foreseeable future.

How do I feel? I feel like we have made great strides and here we are wondering. But I also feel chosen by God. I feel like God created Harper in my inmost being knowing full well the lot we would walk with her and He knew I was best for this job. I also feel grateful. I have a pediatrician that I trust more than I trust most other people. I have therapist and a case worker through Babies Can't Wait that are walking this path with me and holding us up wanting only to see Harper succeed. I am thankful that my parents are close and only with a look can my Mom see straight into my hurting heart. It's difficult to see our normal looking toddler on the outside and to know that her precious insides are still healing.

What can you do?. Pray for Harper. Pray that we will continue to see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Pray that I will be encouraged so I can be the Momma my sweet kiddos need. I have always loved the song "It is well with my Soul" so I leave you these lyrics that I am clinging to:


When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,

When sorrows like sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot, Thou has taught me to say,
It is well, it is well, with my soul.