Friday, May 30, 2014

Our Princess and Her Allergies


We take our temperature in our belly button, don't you? 


Nothing can spark fear in my mind like a rash. I NEVER blogged about our scare with Harper last spring. Let me do that before I talk about our most recent scare.

Last spring, Harper was sick. I'm not even sure now what she had. However, after 17 doses of Amoxicillin Harper broke out in a rash and it wreaked havoc on all of her systems. Turns out she had Steven Johnson Syndrome. Steven Johnson's is a life threatening reaction. Harper first had a rash, then hives, the welps, then the redness turned to bruises, and lastly her skin peeled and fell off. It was horrible. We were told she could NEVER NEVER NEVER have amoxicillin or penicillin again. 

Yesterday, I took our princess to the doctor. Diagnosis: pink eye, ear infection, and sinus infection. Our pediatrician prescribed Omnicef. Omnicef and Penicillin are entirely different classes of medication. However, if you are sensitive to one then you can be sensitive to the other. Only 10% of those allergic to penicillin are ALSO allergic to Omnicef. 

GUESS WHAT?!?! 

Harper is in that 10%! Last night, I noticed a very mild rash on Harper's belly. I was talking with a friend, I mentioned the rash, and my friend told me that there was a link between being allergic to penicillin and having an allergy to Omnicef. I thank God for this friend. She likely kept my daughter from developing a much more serious reaction. I promptly called the nurse line with our insurance and given Harper's history they suggested calling 911. We did not do that but we headed straight to the ER at Scottish Rite. 

I had no idea that at Scottish Rite ER they have a "fast track" area for the seriously sick patients. I mean "fast track" is this Disney? Who wants to be fast tracked at the ER? In reality everyone but in reality "fast track" in the ER elevates the seriousness of what is wrong. Within an hour, we were seen, evaluated, and on the way home. Harper is allergic to another class of medication. 

Because of Harper's history, allergic reactions can quickly turn into Steven Johnson Syndrome and would become harder to manage the more times she has the reaction. That is why everyone from the nurse line to the "fast track" was taking this mild reaction very serious. The rash has worsened and will continue to do so until the ONE dose of Omnicef that she had is out of her system. 

I have a couple of questions: Would an epipen help? Since Harper is allergic to medication, does that increase her odds of being allergic to foods? 

She will be getting an allergy bracelet and probably a tattoo when she is older that lists her allergies. I'm not joking. 
post signature 
  Never miss another post from your favorite Georgia Peach! Click here to subscribe via Email!